When you see back pain, you immediately think of radiculitis. In fact, pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract can cause discomfort in the lower back. Therefore, before preparing a therapeutic regimen, doctors carefully examine the patient. When there is pain in the lower back, only a neurologist can decide how to treat the pathology. Often, narrowly specialized doctors are involved in therapy - gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, oncologist, gynecologist, urologist. Depending on the diagnosed disease, additional treatment is provided at home or in a hospital.
Basic principles of treatment
Pain that affects the lower back can be nagging, nagging, or severe and severe. If the patient has no pathology of other vital system organs at the time of examination, the following measures are included in the therapeutic scheme:
- taking pharmacological drugs to eliminate inflammatory processes, relieve pain, repair damaged bone and joint tissue;
- Carrying out physiotherapy procedures to accelerate the recovery of spinal and skeletal muscles;
- physical therapy or gymnastics.
When there is a sharp and severe pain that restricts movement, patients are given drugs for intramuscular injection. As a rule, in this case, hospitalization is carried out in a hospital. Once the patient's condition improves, he is released at home to improve further.
The right approach to treatment
The main cause of back pain is destructive-degenerative damage to the spine or an intervertebral hernia. No matter how successful the treatment, doctors advise patients to eliminate the factor that provokes the pathology from a normal lifestyle. Otherwise, the disease will return after a while or turn into a chronic form that is dangerous for relapses.
You should be in bed to treat acute or severe back pain. When the inflammatory process is the cause of the pathology, insignificant physical activity also contributes to the spread. Neurologists recommend buying orthopedic pillows and mattresses. Reduces stress in the painful back, will prevent contraction and contraction of muscles and nerve roots. If it is not possible to buy special devices, you should choose a mattress and a medium-hard pillow for sleeping.
To speed recovery, you should follow the following medical recommendations during treatment:
- Avoid any physical activity and active sports. During the rehabilitation phase, you can do yoga, swimming or a long walk in the fresh air;
- Eliminate fatty and fried foods from your diet. They have a negative effect on the condition of blood vessels in the lower back and help to accumulate harmful cholesterol. Lack of nutrients and biologically active substances is one of the reasons for the destruction of bone tissue;
- Do not drink or smoke. If you can not completely overcome the harmful addiction, you should forget about it, at least during treatment. Toxic resins, nicotine, ethanol have a detrimental effect on blood vessels, veins and capillaries, slowing the regeneration of bone, joint and cartilage tissue in men and women.
Taking a balanced vitamin and micronutrient complex will help speed recovery. Some contain increased amounts of calcium, but such medications can only be taken with a doctor's prescription. Therefore, it is advisable to take simple medications.
Despite the effectiveness of folk remedies and physiotherapy procedures, only pharmaceutical drugs quickly eliminate severe back pain. If the discomfort is poorly expressed, taking a capsule, pill, or tablet will help. With severe pain, neurologists prescribe intravenous and intramuscular injections to reduce the patient's condition. Many medications used to treat low back pain have serious side effects and many contraindications. Strict adherence to medical recommendations regarding the doses used and the duration of the course will help to avoid adverse effects.
Injectable forms of B vitamins are almost always used to treat low back pain. Neurotropic effects:
- to normalize the innervation of skeletal muscles;
- to restore the transmission of nerve impulses;
- to promote the regeneration of affected nerve fibers;
- accelerates metabolism;
- Increases the functional activity of the central and peripheral nervous system.
Preparations also contain analgesics, so preparations of B vitamins have moderate analgesic properties.
Injectable medications are often prescribed for acute pain called "lumbago. "When the pathology becomes chronic, its use does not give the expected result. Vitamins are used in combination with both single medications and anti-inflammatory steroid medications. NSAIDs are the first choice in the treatment of low back pain. Within a few minutes, intramuscular solutions stop inflammation, reduce the severity of discomfort, and eliminate soft tissue swelling.
Some drugs are structurally similar, but may differ in the intensity of the therapeutic effect and the number of side effects. When choosing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, the doctor takes into account many factors. For example, certain drugs have a pronounced analgesic effect, but cause serious damage to the joints and cartilage. And unlike others, there are drugs that do not disrupt the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.Although NSAIDs are effective in treating low back pain, neurologists prescribe them with caution, especially in injectable forms. The fact is that a single intramuscular injection of the solution can cause ulceration of the mucous membrane of the digestive system. People diagnosed with gastritis, as well as people with ulcerative lesions of the stomach and duodenum, are strictly prohibited from using NSAIDs in injections or tablets. Treatment of low back pain in men and women with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be combined with any proton pump inhibitors.
Tablets, capsules, dragees
NSAIDs and B vitamins, the patient takes a tablet or capsule to combine the results of therapy after a course of injections. If low back pain and injections of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated, the doctor prescribes tablets with such active substances.
Combined drugs are often used to treat spinal pathologies.
Pain in the lower back occurs with muscle spasms.
Nerve roots stretch and cause the development of secondary radical syndrome. Muscle relaxants help to normalize the innervation of nerve impulses and stop spasms. In case of acute pain, a short course of injections is given, and then the patient continues treatment with pills.
Chondroprotectors are recommended during rehabilitation. The tablets usually contain stimulants for the regeneration of cartilage tissue, extracts from shark cartilage and herbs that help restore the bone structures of the spine. Before treating low back pain with chondroprotectors, the doctor assesses the degree of damage to the joint and cartilage tissues. When serious destructive changes are diagnosed, therapy with these drugs can last more than a year.
Ointments, gels, creams, balms
In addition to parenteral and oral medications, neurologists prescribe medications for external use. It is applied to the lower back several times a day until the pain is completely eliminated. Some ointments contain bee and snake venom, pepper extract, essential oils.
All these organic substances have a warming effect. Patients with sensitive skin may have symptoms of burning and allergic reactions. Before treating back pain caused by an inflammatory process, you should consult your doctor about the safety of using such foreign substances. As a rule, neurologists prescribe the following ointments and gels:
- homeopathic. Contains plant extracts and chemical compounds that improve metabolism and have analgesic effects. Many doctors are skeptical of homeopathy, but patients who do not consider it a false science can be treated. One of the serious disadvantages of such ointments is the long duration of therapy;
- QSİAP. With non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, the ointment is well absorbed by the skin and quickly penetrates the damaged area. After a single application, the severity of the pain syndrome is reduced, the mobility of the vertebrae is restored.
Effective stimulation of normalization of tissue metabolism and relief of dystrophic changes occur after the use of external agents with chondroprotectors.
It doesn't matter if one vertebra is diseased or the inflammation affects the entire lumbar region - ointments with chondroprotectors help to repair joint and cartilage tissue damaged by the pathological process.
Most of these treatments are not prescribed for painful patients with acute inflammation. Procedures begin after relaxation with pharmacological drugs. Physiotherapy is used to normalize tissue metabolism, restore tissues, and prevent further degenerative changes in the spine. What physiotherapy procedure can you use to get rid of back pain:
- electrophoresis. Therapeutic manipulation is designed to ensure rapid delivery of drugs (NSAIDs, analgesics, anesthetics, chondroprotectors) to the affected areas of the lower back. During electrophoresis, cotton swabs soaked in the drug solution are placed on the patient's back. At the top, special plates are placed where the current passes. Under the influence of electrical impulses, chemical molecules rapidly penetrate the area of inflammation;
- Ultrasound treatment. The release of ultrasonic waves stimulates blood circulation in the waist. Nutrients and biologically active substances, as well as molecular oxygen, begin to penetrate the damaged tissues. After 5-10 procedures, the patient's pain disappears as a result of reducing muscle spasms and increasing metabolism;
- laser therapy. Laser polarized light is used to treat destructive changes in the intervertebral discs of the spine. Under the influence of infrared radiation, the blood supply to the joint and cartilage tissues is restored, metabolism is normalized.Physiotherapy helps to remove toxins, toxins, end products of the inflammatory process from the spine;
- magnetic therapy. During the procedure, the patient is exposed to a wave magnetic field to stimulate blood circulation in the damaged tissues.
Medical manipulation is prescribed to stop further damage to the vertebrae and prevent the spread of inflammation to healthy tissues. The result is the disappearance of painful sensations and the restoration of full range of motion.
Physiotherapy is combined with the use of pharmacological drugs to treat severe pain that can spread to the legs, arms, and tailbone. During rehabilitation or remission of chronic pathologies of the spine, patients are recommended mud therapy, baths with mineral water, classic and precise massage, acupuncture.
Traditional Healing Recipes
Traditional doctors recommend drinking plenty of fluids to treat back pain. Compotes from pure water, chamomile and hips tea, berries and fruits will help to quickly remove the end products of inflammation, toxins and toxins from the spine. In folk medicine, as an abundant drink, infusions and decoctions of medicinal plants are used. Beneficial plants contain biologically active substances with anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antiseptic properties.
How to treat back pain with healing infusion:
- Pour 3 tablespoons into a thermos. spoon lingonberry leaves, St. John's wort and marigolds, pour a liter of boiling water and leave for about an hour. Strain, for a fragrant infusion instead of coffee and tea;
- Put a handful of dried rose hips, blueberries and juniper berries in an enamel or glass jar, pour 2 liters of warm water. Cook in a water bath for 30-40 minutes, strain and infuse 0, 5 cups before each meal.
Back pain can be treated with compresses or ointments made from natural products. How to make a potion:
- Melt 3 tablespoons in a water bath. spoonful of natural, cool and mix with 2 tbsp. pharmacy alcohol spoons.
- Slowly add 100 ml of petroleum jelly to the mixture and rub on the affected areas of the waist.
This remedy is also used in medical compresses for back pain. To do this, the mixture should not be rubbed, but spread in a thin layer on the skin. You need to put a plastic cover on it and then wrap it in a warm scarf. The duration of the procedure is 3-4 hours.
Back pain is usually treated at home. Only when an acute inflammatory process is diagnosed, the patient is hospitalized. Depending on the pathological cause, therapy lasts from two weeks to several months. However, if medical advice is followed, recovery is significantly accelerated, as evidenced by the reviews of treated patients.
- “One morning I couldn't get out of bed, I even thought I was paralyzed. But the pain refuted such a hypothesis, it was so strong that it hit his feet. At one hospital, they were treated with NSAIDs and muscle relaxants, and then drank at home for about a week. The pain went away on the second day, but the doctor ordered treatment until he won. "
- “After swimming in a cold river, the pain gradually increased, as I suspected. My lower back just didn't bend, I had to go on sick leave. I followed all the doctor's recommendations, took NSAIDs and muscle relaxants, rubbed with anti-inflammatory ointment, and put mustard plasters on my back. He recovered in five days. "
- “The doctor warned that the pain was not the worst thing. At the time of diagnosis, it was discovered that my spine was collapsing rapidly. For about a year, he took chondroprotectors and rubbed them on his back. I took NSAIDs with a proton pump inhibitor for pain. After a new examination, the neurologist was pleased that no new injuries were found. "